National Defence College (NDC) at New Delhi is one of the leading training institutions of the country. It conducts a course of eleven months on National Security and Strategic Studies for Senior Defence Officers, Civil Services Officers and Officers from friendly foreign countries of Brig/Joint Secretary level or equivalent rank and also awards M Phil Degree from Madras University in 'National Security and Strategy'.
NDC Library and Research Centre is the nucleus of all the academic activities of this premier strategic studies institute. It provides dynamic and conducive environment to Course Officers to understand the perspective of six major study subjects on National Security and Strategy. The aim of the library is to provide research material both in printed and digital format from reliable and credible resources to the faculty and course officers for their research work.
The library has a huge and dynamic collection of relevant books, magazines and newspapers.
Centrally air-conditioned library is wi-fi enabled and fully automated with user-friendly library services including bio-metric facility for transactions.
Library is subscribing various e-resources including databases and digital journals/ magazines.
Digital library uses Aggregator Software through which all the subscribed resources including data bases, e-books, e-journals which can be accessed with a single ‘sign in’ facility within and outside NDC Campus.
Research Centre publishes three NDC journals (2 Journals & 1 Seminar) in a year which are widely read by Senior Defence Officials, Diplomats and Alumni.
The Library is spread over two floors and has the following facilities:
- Issue Counter/Reception
- Book Section
- Journals, Magazines & Newspapers Section
- Photocopy Section
- Touch Screen Kiosk
- New Arrival Section
- Make a choice section (for Selection and Suggestion)
- Army Net (exclusively for the use of Indian Army Course Officers and personnel)
- Internet Hub
- Audio Cubicle
- Reference Book Section
- Thesis Section
- Essential Readings of Six Study Modules
- Book Section: The Library has over 18000 books and 3406 thesis (written by Course members). It has an Open Access System. Books have been stacked in different shelves under the DDC Scheme. Books are issued with biometric device.
- Catalogue: Books are catalogued by title, author and subject wise. The database of all the books can be accessed through library management software named KOHA. KOHA has a powerful search facility which enables search through filters like subject, title, author and keyword of books available in library. This facility is available through internet at NDC web page (www.ndclibrary.in) and at Touch-Screen-Kiosk at Library Reception.
- Journals, Magazines and Newspapers Section: The library subscribes about 54 different Indian, Foreign Journals and Magazines. The library also subscribes 20 Newspapers including international editions. Latest issues of periodicals are displayed in the Magazine and Journal section.
- Photocopy Section: The library provides free photocopy facilities to Course members for official work and study related requirements. The photocopy machines installed at the ground floor and the first floor are meant for use by Course members on 'self-service' basis.
- Thesis Section: All thesis written by Course members of this College are bound, indexed and arranged year-wise. These thesis (3406) serve as reference material for the members for different studies/thesis work. These thesis are for reference and cannot be issued.
- Reference Section: Publications like encyclopedias, yearbooks, dictionaries etc are stacked in the Reference Section on the first floor. There are over 1000 volumes which are meant only for reference and not for issue.
- Audio Cubicle: Audio cubicle is fitted with speaker which relays the lecture-hall proceedings. Course Members, who are unable to attend the lecture in the lecture hall due to any reason, can utilize this facility.
- Internet Facility: There is Internet hub on the first floor with 36 PCs connected with high speed broad band. NDC is a member of prestigious National Knowledge Network (NKN), which facilitates access to internet at a speed of 100mbps. Three color printers and one scanner is available on first floor. Course members can utilize the internet facility to obtain material for various studies/thesis works. Family members are permitted to access all library facilities only on Saturdays.
- Essential Reading for Six Study Modules: Folders of latest articles, videos for each study module is prepared and displayed on first floor of NDC Library.
- Course Reserve Rack: All books relevant to the current study are displayed in the Course Reserve Rack on the ground floor. Members are expected to read these books in the library itself, as these are for reference only.